Monday, 22 August 2011

Home Is Where The Heart Is...


Yesterday I got back from a week in Suffolk staying with my parents, enjoying in-house babysitting, mum's home cooking and family. Boy did I need it! 

I love coming home, until the birth of our son it felt more like Suffolk was "home" and Kent was just "where I lived". It's a house full of character, family memories and of course oodles of vintage charm. Mum is quite the antiquarian (that's where I get it from) and loves collecting Victoriana and Edwardiana and the walls are covered in family photos, from when we were young right back to great-great grandparents. 

Anyway, a friend of mine told me the other day that I should let my readers see the personal side of me as they like to connect with the person behind the blog, so I took some snaps of details of home just for you...


 After throwing a surprise 50th birthday for mum she's been completely won over by yellow flowers.


The original stove in the kitchen. We like to sit and imagine the housekeeper stoking this up in the morning and cooking for the man of the house.



This was part of a birthday present mum hand stitched for me when I was 8 (I think).



A Victorian boy's blouse. Yes. Boys really did wear blouses.


Trunks are very handy for storage, or for standing the TV on! These have been in our family for years now and this one is full of my school books.




My Great-Great Grandparents on the beach with my Great Grandmother on the donkey.


 Mum's best friend at college on the beach. I always loved that white trouser suit. Bellbottoms rock. 



Great-Great Grandma Hudson.


Great-Great Grandpa Hudson


Image Credit: © Tiffany Grant-Riley

Grant-Riley Weddings

5 comments:

  1. Pleeeeease blog more like this, it's fascinating to get to learn about makes the person behind the blog tick, what has shaped them.

    Your Mum's house sounds fascinating, maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to visit with you.

    I love the notion of YOUR home becoming like your real home though once baby arrived, that is so sweet ;)

    Big love,

    Annabel xXx

    ps - I think that friend was right, wasn't she ;) xXxXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was so right and so is Annabel. I love this post. So many treasures.

    Beautiful.

    Yes, clients (and other readers) love the personal stuff. It's how I get my most lovely clients. They connect with me!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see your inspiration is in your DNA! Lovely images

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments! So long as it doesn't bore everyone I'll continue to write the occasional personal post for you all. Mum's house is a bit of a gem, she puts so much love into it, she'll be pleased to read your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, agreed, I do think that injecting some of your own life into your blog is never a bad idea. Sweet house! Love the stove.

    ReplyDelete