Saturday, 20 August 2011

The Icing On The Cake



Mum was over the moon!

Last week I met up for a day of filming with cake designer extraordinaire Janet Mohapi-Banks and the incredibly talented film makers Julie and Danny of Minty Slippers for Love My Dress blog.

You may or may not know that I'm an avid cake maker and enjoy the challenge of making wedding and birthday cakes for friends and family-maybe you've seen a few? It all started two years ago when my lovely friend Juliet Sear of Fancy Nancy invited me up for a crash course and I've been hooked ever since. The problem is though, that although I can bake, construct and simply decorate a cake with my eyes closed, I felt my piping and sugar crafting skills were somewhat lacking. I'm also the kind of person who sulks when I don't get something right the first time (I'm a perfectionist, ok?) so the sugar flowers and piping have taken a bit of a back seat. They look so scary don't they?

Anyway, back to the point. Over the last year or so I've made some fantastic friends over Twitter, one of whom is the lovely Janet. She's a bit of a wonder-woman really, a self made cake guru, entirely self taught and my GOODNESS have you SEEN her work? To top it all off, she's a real laugh and so very genuine. When I mentioned that I wanted to hone in on my piping skills, she suggested we get together for a tutorial. One thing led to another and before we knew it we were arriving at Stacey Marie of Cherry-Topped's house to film it for Love My Dress.

We put together a mini tutorial to show brides how they can decorate a shop bought cake (or one they've made and iced themselves) for their wedding. And, after 5 hours decorating, here's what we achieved, using hot yellow (great colour for weddings). See those roses? I made half of those! And the swags, hearts and little spots? I did half of those too! And guess what? Nothing went wrong, the world didn't end.

Watch this space then, in the meantime, feast your eyes on one we made earlier...


Cherry and almond sponge...to die for.

Thank you to Minty Slipper and Janet and Stacey Marie for donating your time.

Image Credits: Rhys Grant at Negative Bear

2 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful and absolutely delicious! If you ever need any help with tastings.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks INCREDIBLE! You actually made this? Well done you!!! I can't wait to blog this feature - yay!! ;))

    Annabel xXx

    ReplyDelete